Digital Gallery Guide
Durham Art Gallery is pleased to announce that we are currently looking for someone who is passionate about customer and user experience, to fill a short-term contract position of Gallery Guide! The Gallery Guide will guide viewers in their physical and digital experience at the gallery!
The eligible candidate will be responsible for:
• Creating a friendly, welcoming, and informative first experience for visitors online and in-person when possible.
• Leading the daily operations of the Visitor Services Desk, info email account and social media accounts with responsibilities including, but not limited to: Checking and respond to voicemails and emails, maintianing the info@ remail address visitor interaction, direct messages and number tracking, and opening and closing the gallery
• Giving interactive, conversational tours to the public
• Social media content production and engagement
• Website upkeep
• Program facilitation: helping with reading groups, arts programs, opening receptions and other events
• Membership sales and record keeping
• Maintain a well-informed, working knowledge of the exhibits and services available and communicate that information in a style consistent with the Durham Art Gallery
• Serve as an advocate for the visitor while simultaneously promoting the welfare of the artists and gallery; communicate with a variety of visitors with diverse interests and abilities to ensure a positive gallery experience; resolve visitor concerns and complaints in an appropriate and mutually acceptable manner
• Helping with special projects, administration, being flexible and willing to help with additional duties as needed
• Tending to the exhibition technology, turning on projectors, tvs, etc.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing
• Comfort with interpreting artwork
• Public Speaking
• Have a general understanding of gallery policies, procedures and offerings; knowledge of arts and/or leisure audiences preferred
• Use considerable initiative, creativity, judgment, and problem-solving while being self-motivated
• Ability to deal with difficult people or situations involving complex issues; and establishing and maintaining cooperative and generative relationships
• Ability to excite and engage guests with the stories and exhibits at the gallery
• Proficient in a Mac environment
• Proficiency in social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram.
• Familiarity with AirTable and Wix
• Comfort with projectors, tv, media players, etc.
• High School Diploma (minimum) Bachelor’s Degree (preferred).
• Two years of related customer service work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Clear vulnerable sector check
• Smart Serve
• Experience with POS systems
On-Site Inclusion Training is Mandatory
• Short-term contract, three months
• Subject to renewal
• Possibility for position growth
20 hrs/week. Dates consistent, but negotiable.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applicants, only eligible candidates will be contacted.