Durham Art Gallery is pleased to announce that we are currently looking for someone who is passionate about customer and user experience, to fill a short-term contract position of Gallery Guide! The Gallery Guide will guide viewers in their physical and digital experience at the gallery! Deadline for applications: March 6, 2020.
The eligible candidate will be responsible for:
• Creating a friendly, welcoming, and informative first experience for visitors.
• Leading the daily operations of the Visitor Services Desk with responsibilities including, but not limited to: Greet visitors, check and respond to voicemails and emails, maintain lost and found items, respond to customer’s complaints, ensure clean desk space, visitor interaction direct messages and number tracking, and opening and closing the gallery
• Giving interactive, conversational tours to the public
• Social media content production and engagement
• Website upkeep
• Program facilitation: helping with reading groups, arts programs, opening receptions and other events
• Membership sales and record keeping
• Maintain a well-informed, working knowledge of the exhibits and services available and communicate that information in a style consistent with the Durham Art Gallery
• Serve as an advocate for the visitor while simultaneously promoting the welfare of the gallery; communicate with a variety of visitors with diverse interests and abilities to ensure a positive gallery experience; resolve visitor concerns and complaints in an appropriate and mutually acceptable manner
• Helping with special projects, being flexible and willing to help with additional duties as needed
• Tending to the exhibition technology, turning on projectors, tvs, etc.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing
• Comfort with interpreting artwork
• Public Speaking
• Have a general understanding of gallery policies, procedures and offerings; knowledge of arts and/or leisure audiences preferred
• Use considerable initiative, creativity, judgment, and problem-solving while being self-motivated
• Ability to deal with difficult people or situations involving complex issues; and establishing and maintaining cooperative and generative relationships
• Ability to excite and engage guests with the stories and exhibits at the gallery
• Proficient in a Mac environment
• Proficiency in social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram.
• Familiarity with AirTable and Wix
• Comfort with projectors, tv, media players, etc.
• High School Diploma (minimum) Bachelor’s Degree (preferred).
• Two years of related customer service work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Clear vulnerable sector check
• Smart Serve
• Experience with POS systems
On-Site Inclusion Training is Mandatory
• Short-term contract, three months
• Subject to renewal
• Possibility for position growth
One to three days from Tuesday - Friday.
10am - 5pm
$15-$18, commensurate with experience
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applicants, only eligible candidates will be contacted.